Tuesday 18 October 2016

Review: GEMINA by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

29236299


The highly anticipated sequel to the instant New York Times bestseller that critics are calling “out-of-this-world awesome.”
 
Moving to a space station at the edge of the galaxy was always going to be the death of Hanna’s social life. Nobody said it might actually get her killed.
     The sci-fi saga that began with the breakout bestseller
Illuminae continues on board the Jump Station Heimdall, where two new characters will confront the next wave of the BeiTech assault.
     Hanna is the station captain’s pampered daughter; Nik the reluctant member of a notorious crime family. But while the pair are struggling with the realities of life aboard the galaxy's most boring space station, little do they know that Kady Grant and the
Hypatia are headed right toward Heimdall, carrying news of the Kerenza invasion.
     When an elite BeiTech strike team invades the station, Hanna and Nik are thrown together to defend their home. But alien predators are picking off the station residents one by one, and a malfunction in the station's wormhole means the space-time continuum might be ripped in two before dinner. Soon Hanna and Nik aren’t just fighting for their own survival; the fate of everyone on the
Hypatia—and possibly the known universe—is in their hands.
     But relax. They've totally got this. They hope.
     Once again told through a compelling dossier of emails, IMs, classified files, transcripts, and schematics,
Gemina raises the stakes of the Illuminae Files, hurling readers into an enthralling new story that will leave them breathless.


Hot damn!!! I bloody loved ILLUMINAE and I bloody love GEMINA. Yes the magic is still there and I am still completely in love with the unique and fascinating way to tell a story. I don't even know where to begin, but let me tell you I didn't want this book to end.

This time we are aboard the Jump Station Heimdall. This is the story that basically explains why the distress signals from Kady in the first book have never been heard, simply because Heimdall is busy with their own assault. Our main characters this time are Hanna and Nik. Hanna is the daughter of the captain, she likes to party and expensive clothes, while Nik is part of a criminal family, covered in tattoos. But suddenly those two and Nik's cousin are the only ones left who can fight back when the station is under attack.

Of course the story is once again being told by files, be it emails, chats or surveillance reports, which is the most exciting way to tell this story. Which is the reason I fell in love with illuminea. It keeps you on your toes and gives you a perspective of the story you don't normally get. This in no way keeps you from connecting with the main characters. I literally couldn't tell you who I liked more, Hanna and Nik couldn't be more different. And yet I couldn't get enough of either of them. I love how bad ass Hanna really is while everyone just believes her to be this spoiled princess. And I love how Nik is actually good at heart while everyone believes him to be a criminal and nothing else. It's as if they both get to take their masks off and be themselves while absolute chaos erupts around them. Let's not forget Nik's cousin tho, because let me tell you, that young girl is pure genius with some right mouth on her, I would want her having my back any day. 

If you think you will just get a repeat from the first book you are very wrong this is a completely new and fresh story that will have you gripped from the very start. I could not put this down and I had to fight temptation to turn the pages to see what's coming next because I couldn't read fast enough. With many twists and turned and some shocking surprises this book had me at the edge of my seat many times. 

Second book syndrome?? Nope, not for these two amazing authors. They've just gone and smashed it again. One can only hope that these two will continue to treat us to these exquisite books full of visual effects and unique story lines. 

The fact this book looks stunning on my shelf is just another added bonus but as a cover lover it's certainly worth mentioning. 

Nobody writes a story like Kaufman and Kristoff! 

Thank you so much to Lawrence at Oneworld Publishing for my copy.

GEMINA will be published on 20th October! 

No comments:

Post a Comment