Tuesday 30 August 2016

Review: The Deviants by C.J. Skuse

23126437



Growing up in the sleepy English seaside town of Brynston, the fearless five – Ella, Max, Corey, Fallon and Zane – were always inseparable. Living up to their nickname, they were the adventurous, rowdy kids who lived for ghost stories and exploring the nearby islands off the coast. But when Max’s beloved older sister Jessica is killed, the friendship seems to die with her.


Now years later, only Max and Ella are in touch; still best friends and a couple since they were thirteen. Their lives are so intertwined Max’s dad even sponsors Ella’s training for the Commonwealth Games. But Ella is hiding things. Like why she hates going to Max’s house for Sunday dinner, and flinches whenever his family are near. Or the real reason she’s afraid to take their relationship to the next level.



When underdog Corey is bullied, the fearless five are brought back together again, teaming up to wreak havoc and revenge on those who have wronged them. But when the secrets they are keeping can no longer be kept quiet, will their fearlessness be enough to save them from themselves?




This book made me cry, a lot. And I am not normally a blubbering mess when I read a book. But this one broke me. The Deviants is a book I first notice at the YALC. People talked about it everywhere and even sat around reading it. Now I know why. 

This is the story of Ella and her group of friends. Once a very close gang of friends, years later some barely speak to one another at all. However Ella and Max have remained a couple since they was kids. But while most people take their relationship to the next level Ella cant bring herself getting closer to her boyfriend. Everytime she tries it ends in a disaster and a very upset Ella. Due to some unfortunate events some of the old gang teams up again. But once they are all together again their secrets seem to be so much harder to keep, What are they hiding? What happened to their friendship in the past?

I freaking loved this book. It was impossible to put down, I couldnt wait to discover their secrets and I have literally fallen in love with the characters. Every single one of them. What an amaying bunch of characters, every single one of them was so different and interesting. I wanted to be friends with them all. 

But the story itself is even better. I was hooked from the start and it kept me captivated all the way through. I can't even explain how incredibly well this has been written and planned. The story taking you deeper and deeper into something you didnt see coming at all. And thats another incredible thing, no matter how hard I tried to figure out what was happening, I  didn't stand a chance. The end took me by surprise and destroyed me emotionally. I wasnt prepared for that. 

Once in a while a very special book comes along and surprises you, brakes you and stays with you for a very long time, the Deviants is that kind of book.

I can't praise this enough and wether you like YA or not is completely irrelevant in this case. 

Emotional, unpredictable and completely unforgettable. 

Thank you to Young Adult HQ for my copy.

The Deviants will be released 22nd September and you can't miss this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment