Monday 19 October 2015

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon



'LIVE LIFE IN A BUBBLE?
OR RISK EVERYTHING FOR LOVE?

Maddie is allergic to the world.
She hasn't left her house in seventeen years.

Olly is the boy next door.
He's determined to find a way to reach her.

Everything, Everything is about
the crazy risks we take for love.'



I have seen this book around my Goodreads and Instagram for a bit now and everyone seems to have absolutely loved it. And I can totally see why.

Maddy's life is about to completely change. She has been locked away in her house for 17 years, due to being allergic to the world. She doesn't have any human contact with anyone other then her Mother and her Nurse, and very rarely one of her tutors. She studies online and over Skype and she reads lots and lots of books.

One day she hears a removals truck next door and she finds herself glued to the window watching the new family move in next door. She esp is fascinated by the boy, who seems to be able to climb walls and who moves differently from anyone she ever saw. She is soon slightly obsessing with watching the family.

Eventually the boy next door, Olly, notices her too. And through the window they swap email addresses, not long after they always chat online, so much so that Maddy forgets to spend time with her mother sometimes. But soon talking online isn't enough, she wants to meet the boy. Without her mothers knowledge her nurse and friend lets the boy come and visit. They are not allowed to touch and have to stay away from each other as much as possible.

However how do you stay away from someone who you are falling in love with. And how is a few short visits ever going to be enough. Maddy soon finds herself wanting so much more. But how far will she go? Can she risk her health and life for love?

This is a really sweet book and I couldn't put it down. Its really well written and Maddys little drawings and notes really add a sweet touch. The whole idea of a girl who cant leave her home because it could kill her really gripped me. Maddy, who dreams about the things that we totally take for granted. It sort of puts some things into perspective and makes you wonder if we appreciate the simple things in life enough at all.

Fallen in love for the first time is kind of dramatic as it is, but to fall in love when a touch or a kiss could kill you, that certainly makes for a very dramatic first love.

I really liked Maddy, I love how she just gets on with things, how she accepted her life for what it is. She just gets on with it and makes the best of it, trying to enjoy the little things that make her happy. Personally I cant even begin to imagine how crazy it would drive me and how super lonely I would feel.

I don't think we got to know Olly enough, that's kind of ok too, because this story is more about Maddy then their story. But he certainly sounds amazing, the boy next door that doesn't shy away, even when he finds out that she will never be able to leave the house, to do normal things other friends and couples do. He accepts her for who she is. But he certainly has his own things to deal with at home.

This book is about falling in love in the most unusual circumstances, its about risking everything for happiness, its about friendship, loss and a relationship between a mother and her daughter. What an amazing concept. And I cant help but feel like it could be a smidge better, like the story could have been filled a little more. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed it, but I think I could have loved it some more.

Unfortunately I have guessed pretty soon in the book how its all going to end. Which is such a shame when it then didn't surprise me at all. But that in no way is the authors fault, nothing has really been given away. I honestly wish I hadn't guesses it or I was completely wrong. Better stop guessing all together. Its not as heartbreaking as The Fault in Our Stars, but I think if you loved that one you will enjoy this one too.





No comments:

Post a Comment