Monday 21 November 2016

Review: The Invasion of the Tearling by Erica Johansen



23482781


With each passing day, Kelsea Glynn is growing into her new responsibilities as Queen of the Tearling. By stopping the shipments of slaves to the neighboring kingdom of Mortmesne, she crossed the Red Queen, a brutal ruler whose power derives from dark magic, who is sending her fearsome army into the Tearling to take what is hers. And nothing can stop the invasion.

But as the Mort army draws ever closer, Kelsea develops a mysterious connection to a time before the Crossing, and she finds herself relying on a strange and possibly dangerous ally: a woman named Lily, fighting for her life in a world where being female can feel like a crime. The fate of the Tearling —and that of Kelsea’s own soul—may rest with Lily and her story, but Kelsea may not have enough time to find out.



So I have had a funny old relationship with the first book, this probably being the reason why it took me so long to pick this up. But when I have been lucky enough to receive the third book, I knew it was time to get this one done. And I am really glad that I did. This was so much better for me then the first one.

Kelsea is now the queen of the Tearling, but to get there she has crossed the Red Queen. Resulting in the Red Queen sending her Army into the Tear. While the Army is unstoppable and moves closer by the day Kelsea starts to experience visions. Not ones of the future but of the past, in her visions she becomes Lily, a woman in the past who lived in a world in which it was dangerous to be a women. And with a husband like Lily's her life is a sad and dangerous one. But what is the connection between Kelsea and Lily. And how can her visions help her with the imminent invasion?

This book was so much faster paced then the first one and while I didn't always like Kelsea and some of her choices I have come to really respect and understand her. Lily's story had me gripped from the start, I was always looking forward to finding out what happens next.

So I have finally fallen in love with this story!! Finally!! This isn't the kind of stuff I normally read. Not your standard light fantasy, this is a heavy read and very clever. I understand the comparison to Game of Thrones, which I have been unable to get into, no matter how much I wanted to. This book needs your undivided attention and time. But when you get your head around it and start to really get into the story it flows nicely and you wont be able to turn the pages fast enough.

Johansen has delivered a very unique and clever book. One with many stories within. You will discover something new on every page. The world building is incredible and it is filled with many amazing and interesting characters.

I am currently reading the third book and I am still a big fan. I can not wait to find out how this story will end and what else is going to happen to the Tear and its Queen.


No comments:

Post a Comment