Tuesday 10 November 2015

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner


Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.

First of all!! Cover!! I am in love, and once again guilty of a cover buy. This is clearly going to go totally wrong one day, but so far so good.

I absolutely love the characters in this book. The name Lilac is absolutely amazing and I am already wondering why I didn't call my daughter Lilac. Considering this is actually my favourite flower. I adore her, she should be a totally spoiled rotten brat on paper, but in reality she doesn't actually feel comfortable in her life. Feeling trapped rather then happy. Not only that but she doesn't dare speak to any boys, in fear of what her very rich, powerful father will do to them. 

Then there is Tarver, who doesn't like a man in uniform? I certainly do. He is a soldier through and through. Becoming a war hero so early in his life made him very famous, but he also doesn't feel comfortable in his new life. This isn't where he is from and people treat him very differently. Pretty much everyone thinks they are better then him. He wishes he could have earned his medals in the way everyone else does, through years of service. 

When Tarver and Lilac meet there is chemistry there from the start, but Tarver has no idea he is basically speaking to a princess. He is totally smitten by the red haired beauty. Who not only has easy banter but some backbone too.

Once again fearing consequences from her father Lilac is horrible to him to get rid of him. Which causes a drift between them that continues well after they crash land on to a different planet. After the devastating crash of the ship, that seems to have no survivors other then those two they find themselves on a planet they can't recognise. While they first can't think of a worse companien to be stranded with, they soon realise how much they need each other. It's almost like their 'talents' compliment each other. What she lacks, he makes up for and other way around. 

I love how their relationship develops. Both fighting it at first, nobody wanting to admit their feelings. But it still happens step by step they find themselves falling for each other. 

Stranded on a planet where they hear whispers, see strange animals and visions, they become a tight team, on their way to find the main ship. Their life in danger, they continue to safe each other. But what else are they going to find on this planet? And will they find a way home? 

Even after everything they discover and go through. They get to the point where they think staying on this planet is their better choice, if they want to stay together. What awaits them at home could possibly be their end. 

I really really like this book. The writing is amazing, the characters are extremely likeable, the little snippets of Tarvers interview make it even more exciting (why is he lying?) and I seriously couldn't put it down. 

I actually feel like I watched a movie, I don't know what it is but I feel like I see it all in pictures when i think back about this story. The book is as beautiful as its cover! I do however feel like it could be just that little bit more, this is space we are talking about, the world building could have gone a bit further. But I feel that we will get much more in the next book. Which personally I really can't wait to read. I am already in love with the cover ;) At first when I heard it will be a different story, I was disappointed but that was before I finished the book. Now I can't wait to meet new characters and see more of this world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment