Tuesday 9 August 2016

Review: Stealing Snow by Danielle Paige (Stealing Snow #1)

30367320


Seventeen-year-old Snow lives within the walls of the Whittaker Institute, a high security mental hospital in upstate New York. Deep down, she knows she doesn't belong there, but she has no memory of life outside, except for the strangest dreams. And then a mysterious, handsome man, an orderly in the hospital, opens a door – and Snow knows that she has to leave …
She finds herself in icy Algid, her true home, with witches, thieves, and a strangely alluring boy named Kai. As secret after secret is revealed, Snow discovers that she is on the run from a royal lineage she's destined to inherit, a father more powerful and ruthless than she could have imagined, and choices of the heart that could change everything. Heroine or villain, queen or broken girl, frozen heart or true love, Snow must choose her fate …
A wonderfully icy fantastical romance, with a strong heroine choosing her own destiny, Danielle Paige's irresistibly page-turning Snow Queen is like Maleficent and Frozen all grown up.
 


What a great fairy tale of a surprise. When I saw this book turning up on twitter I knew I had to have a copy for myself, there might have been a little begging involved. And its been totally worth it too. This has been an absolute pleasure to read, it has all the right ingredients for a fantastic fantasy novel.

This is Snow's story who lives in a mental hospital. Snow has one friend in there, her big love Bale. But she fears that their first kiss has broken him, now she is not allowed to see him at all. But Bale disappears one night and a strange mysterious boy convinces her to stop taking her meds and run away and follow Bale. Snow ends up in icy Algrid, where she learns that this strange place full of magic and strange beings is her real home. Not just a home, but her father is the evil king. A prophecy suggests that she is the one to bring the king down and rule this world herself or fail and let the King have all the power. But all Snow wants is to save Bale and go back home. On her travels she has the help of two boys that couldn't be more different but Snow finds herself attracted to both. But
how dangerous is her kiss really? And will she find Bale?

This has been a really refreshing kind of book and I read a lot of fantasy. I loved all the little touches of different fairy tales here and there. I always find myself rooting for Snow even when she fights her destiny and power. But most off all I loved the boys... all the boys. Like Snow there is no way I could decide which one I like the most. And I actually really love this idea. While its usually always obvious which one belongs to the main character straight away I love how Snow is torn and so are the readers. Because lets face it, she is 17, she has been locked away, now there is attractive and amazing boys around... you are bound to be totally confused with your feelings flying all over the place!

The ending was really unpredictable and the book was filled with lots of twists and surprises. I couldn't put it down and I am already very excited for the next one. I can not wait to see Snow grow even more in the books to come, for her power to come to its full potential.

I have never read anything by Paige before but I am now a fan. This has been an absolutely magical book, exciting from the first page to the last with a huge potential for so much more to come. If you love fantasy you are going to eat this up and love every minute off it. I know I did.

A magical fairy tale, unique and full of dreamy boys.

Stealing Snow will be released on 6th October.

Thank you to Lizz Skelly and Bloomsbury Childrens Books for my copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment