Tuesday 23 August 2016

Review: Double Down by Gwenda Bond (Louis Lane #2)



Lois Lane has settled in to her new school. She has friends, for maybe the first time in her life. She has a job that challenges her. And her friendship is growing with SmallvilleGuy, her online maybe-more-than-a-friend. But when her friend Maddy’s twin collapses in a part of town she never should’ve been in, Lois finds herself embroiled in a dangerous mystery that brings her closer to the dirty underbelly of Metropolis. 

This came though my letter box as a complete surprise and let me tell you, I like surprises a lot, esp in the form of a book. But this one made me extra happy because I really loved the first book. Growing up around Superman movies and TV shows, the characters have always been in my life. And I always loved Louis. I still enjoy this quirky and new retelling in which Louis Lane is still at highschool and already working in a young team for the paper.

In Double Down Louis has settled more into her new life, she is much more confident in what she does and even more determined. Her virtual friendship with SmalvilleGuy is still going and growing further within this book. Things start getting interesting for Louis and her friends when Maddy's twin sister needs their help. She got herself into some trouble and now she has episodes where she can see though someone else's eyes. But that's not all, another friend will need Louis' help and to top it off things are also happening in the forum where Louis met SmallvilleGuy...

I will be honest, I didn't love it quite as much as the first one but I still did love it. What I struggle with a little is Louis and SmallvilleGuy's virtual relationship. While others have a love life around them it sort of annoys me that they don't. Not really anyway. Meeting in a virtual world just doesn't quite do it for me. Superman and Louis' story has always been my favourite part in all the shows. However, I do really enjoy reading Louis's adventures. You forget what a great impact she actually always has in saving people. I love her detective mind and her clever ideas.

I really enjoy solving the mystery along side Lois and her friends. But I hope in the future there will be more interaction between her and SmallvilleGuy.

If you ever liked Smallville or Veronica Mars, this is the perfect book for you. But either way if you like your book with some mystery that needs solving then you need to pick this series up. I for one can't wait for the next one.

I have had an amazing time reading both books and while I am pining for more love to come its actually kind of refreshing to not have a book overloaded with feels but rather filled with lots of fun. This series honestly doesn't get enough attention just yet, I hope this will change very soon.

Double Down will be released on 8th September.

Thank you to Georgia and Curious Fox for my surprise copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment