Monday 21 March 2016

Review: Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare (The Dark Artifices - book one)

27788505


The Shadowhunters of Los Angeles star in the first novel in Cassandra Clare s newest series, The Dark Artifices, a sequel to the internationally bestselling Mortal Instruments series. "Lady Midnight" is a Shadowhunters novel.
It s been five years since the events of "City of Heavenly Fire" that brought the Shadowhunters to the brink of oblivion. Emma Carstairs is no longer a child in mourning, but a young woman bent on discovering what killed her parents and avenging her losses.
Together with her parabatai Julian Blackthorn, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches across Los Angeles, from the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica. If only her heart didn t lead her in treacherous directions
Making things even more complicated, Julian s brother Mark who was captured by the faeries five years ago has been returned as a bargaining chip. The faeries are desperate to find out who is murdering their kind and they need the Shadowhunters help to do it. But time works differently in faerie, so Mark has barely aged and doesn t recognize his family. Can he ever truly return to them? Will the faeries really allow it?
Glitz, glamours, and Shadowhunters abound in this heartrending opening to Cassandra Clare s Dark Artifices series."


HOLY SHIT!!! Biggest book hangover ever!!

Let me begin by telling you how much I love the Shadowhunter world. I have loved every single of Cassandra Clare's books and I forever wish I had the time to read them all again. Lady Midnight has been my most anticipated book of the year and has been in my preorders for ages. When it finally arrived I literally dropped everything to read this.

I cant tell you how much I have loved this one. So much so I have no idea how I will cope waiting for the next one. Being back in the world of the Shadwohunters has been once again amazing, This time we are in the Los Angeles institute with some of the characters we already got to meet in previous books. Emma has lost her parents in the last Mortal Instruments book, while everyone believes that they are victims of the war Emma thinks someone else has killed them. Now 5 years later she is still looking for a clue. And one finally comes, more dead bodies turn up with the same markings that Emmas parents had on their bodies. Emma follows the clues with the help of everyone from the institute. However without the Clave knowing about their plans.

Emma is not the only one of the amazing characters in this book, its packed with the most interesting and lovable people. From Julian, who is her parabatai and the one who is looking after his smaller brothers and sisters. To Mark who has returned from the Hunt a very different man. Mark however is probably my favourite one. He is so interesting, mysterious and precious. He has surprised me over and over and I cant wait to read more about him in the future.

Of course this book doesn't miss out on another amazing love story and once again Cassandra has made forbidden love the main focal point. But in no way is she repeating history, its a very different kind if forbidden love one with a twist that we are only just about to discover.

What this book is filled with and what we are used to from Cassandra is an amazing amount of adventure, fights, battles... there is always something going on. Its all so well written I can see it happening in my mind.

I love how all the characters we loved in previous books make an appearance here and there. It means so much and I still care about all of them. Cassandra made a great choice here. While their stories have ended and there is no point going back there, she is giving the fans a way to see where their lives have taken them. I almost made a little squeak every time I saw a familiar name.

The world building is once again another level and I don't ever want Cassandra to leave this world. This is probably my favourite one of all times. I want it to be part of my life for as long as possible. Can you imagine how happy I was that there is going to be at least another 5 books?? YES YES YES!!!! Give me now!

The only bad thing is the huge book hangover I am left with and the year waiting I now have to do till the next book! Oh how to cope!!??

I LOVE this book!! Its probably my favourite book in a long long time!

If you haven't read any of Cassandra Clare's books then you really should!! But do so from the start and in the right order. Not only does it make more sense this way but you will love how she connects the different characters and stories!!! Plus all of the books will make your shelf so so so pretty, those covers are all to die for!

No comments:

Post a Comment