Thursday 1 September 2016

Review: An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

20560137




Laia is a slave. 


Elias is a soldier. 

Neither is free.

Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear.

It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do.

But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy.

There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, its most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.




This is why I bloody love this genre so much,  books like this one!! I have fallen in love with it from the very first page. I knew straight away that I had a special book in my hands. While I am totally late to the party, I am rather glad that I don't have to wait long for the next one. 

This is almost like a Romeo and Juliette story in a way, Laia and Elias couldn't be more different. Laia looses her family, either murdered or locked up. To save her brother she asks for the help of the rebellion. They send her on a mission into the greatest military academy, where she is to be the slave of the leader. Elias is about to graduate this academy and about to become exactly the same as the person that has murdered her family. They should be enemies, however they find themselves drawn to each other instead. What neither of them knows is that every choice they make could have a massive impact on the Empire itself. Will they make the right one? 

This book is AWESOME, in every single way. I have loved the characters and the whole forbidden love thing. I couldn't put it down, i didn't want to. And while I couldn't turn the pages fast enough, at the same time I never wanted it to finish. This book makes me so glad so many in this genre are series instead of stand alone's, because I want to stay with this world and its characters for a long time still. 

Beside amazing main characters there is many more I love to. This story has a villain that literally made my blood boil over. Brutal, disgusting and hateful. But it made for some very powerful reading. The rebels have some interesting characters too and its really hard to say who we can trust and who we cant. But another favorite character is Helene. She is BADASS, I love her. She is fierce, loyal and the person you need on your side. 

This book is full of everything I love about a good book and more. A new favorite. I don't think there is that many people who haven't read this yet, but if you haven't then what are you waiting for? This is the one you shouldn't miss. I am now waiting for my preorder of A Torch Against the Night to arrive and I am seriously so excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment