Monday 13 June 2016

Review: The Sin Eaters Daughter by Melinda Salisbury

21936988


A startling, seductive, deliciously dark debut that will shatter your definition of YA fantasy. Sixteen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she's engaged to the prince, no one speaks to her. No one even looks at her. Because Twylla isn't a member of the court. She's the executioner.As the goddess-embodied, Twylla kills with a single touch. So each week, she's taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love her. Who could care for a girl with murder in her veins? Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to her touch, avoids her.But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose playful smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he's able to look past Twylla's executioner robes and see the girl, not the goddess. Yet a treasonous romance is the least of Twylla's problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies-a plan that requires an unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?


I have had this book on my shelf for some time and I don't even know why it took me so long to pick it up. I often put review copies first so my own collection sits there and waits until I can squeeze it in somewhere. When I first started this book I was a little confused, I know it has a lot of fans and I was unsure as to why. Because it was all a little strange, a girl that can kill just by touching someone, gods that are like day and night, a sin eater who feasts at peoples funerals, eating away their sins in a rather disturbing matter... I didn't see how this was going to be amazing.

Then bam, a massive turn in events, followed by bam, another one. And suddenly I was on the edge of my seat and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough!! Now I see it, this book is just fantastic.

Twylla is the daughter of the sin eater, when one day the queen comes and gives her the opportunity to have a different life at her court, explaining to her that she is the goddess-embodied, Twylla doesn't hesitate. Leaving her family behind she starts a new life at court, but its not all she hoped for. She is made to drink poison which results in her touch being deadly. Twylla does not like executing people and she does not like the queen for making her. Not only that but Twylla is lonely, she has no friends beside her guards and even those leave for fear of  her touch. Until her new guard arrives who seems to see her for who she really is. She is also betrothed to the prince, which she hasn't seen in years, who happens to return and who is trying to get closer to her. Suddenly her life is thrown upside down...

I have fallen in love with this book so much, it took me a while but I got there in the end. I really liked Twylla altho I did find she was a little naïve at times. But she has a big heart and she is good through and through. However I have loved Lief so so much. I want a Lief in my life. Nothing beats a book for me more then an amazing bookboyfriend. And Lief is as dreamy as they come.

All in all the book is full of interesting characters. The evil queen. The honerable prince... I enjoyed every page. While I still thing some of it was a little strange I can not wait for the next one. The book  has the only ending that was right for it. But to get there we get many many turns and surprises, which kept me on my toes all the way through.

What really made this book is the relationship between Twylla and Lief. Its a really special and sweet one. It is all a little typical for that genre, but that's ok. Its one of the reasons I love it so much and keep sticking to YA fantasy.

Unique, while a little strange, dark and utterly enjoyable,




No comments:

Post a Comment